Friday 24 February 2017

New profile of Len Deighton in Mail, part of SS-GB hullaboo


Amidst all the online Twitter hubbub over alleged mumbling in SS-GB on BBC1, there's been a significant upsurge in coverage of both the series and the author of the book on which it is based, Len Deighton.

The Deighton Dossier spoke briefly a while back to Nicole Lampert who writes for the Daily Mail, and her short profile article on Len Deighton was in the paper yesterday and is up on the newspaper's website, here. She has alighted on the 'mysterious, reclusive' author angle which, while cliched, isn't all that inaccurate - the author does value his privacy highly.

I'm pleased she used some of the information on the website I pointed her to as part of her research, and the Mail's picture library has clearly dug deep to find some new pictures of Len to illustrate the article.

3 comments:

  1. Great production so far. I especially love it when lines of Len's original dialogue are used.

    The opening animation, with the Spitfires talking off to challenge the Luftwaffe is quite wondeful. I was inclined to think that in this telling perhaps the British threw in the towel after September 1940 but later there is a mention of the Dover landing.

    A couple of points regarding the TV production which I was disappointed were missed:
    The scene at the school where the children are persuaded to sing as they are taken away on the bus, "if you are happy and you know it.." etc

    At the General's detention centre, the scene where Douglas talkes to the British general and later the scene where the young man is trying out his false leg.

    But even in a five episode production I guess we can't have everything.

    No complaints from me about inaudible dialogue. I'm watching on BBC iplayer with the subtitles on!

    I hope we'll now get to see that long promised production of Bomber.

    best regards
    Terry Kidd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was amused by a comment in the Guardian who hoped to see a Daily Mail headline, message to the Resistance. "You lost, get over it!"

    Terry

    ReplyDelete
  3. After I read Deighton's first novel, The Ipcress File, when it was published in 1962, I began to read about Deighton published then in various publications, and I find nothing new about Nicole's Deighton profile in the Daily Mail.

    ReplyDelete